A Partial Release of Easement is when SJWTX returns an existing platted utility easement to the property owner when SJWTX does not require the use of the easement.
In order to obtain a Partial Release of Easement you must submit the following:
- A copy of the survey
- A copy of the warranty deed indicating the owner/s of record
- Application for Partial Release of Easement (PDF) -information on the application must match exactly what is on the Warranty Deed and signed as such
- Applicable Fees
Non-Standard Release of Easements
Anything outside of the standard Partial Release of Easements will need to go through our Engineering Department. Please contact them for further information
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Partial Release of Easement process?
- The request is sent to our New Service Team who creates a work order for an on-site review of the easement and where our pipelines are located in relation to the property.
- The work order results are reviewed by our Engineering Department. If the easement may be released a Partial Release of Easement document will be created and recorded with the Comal County Clerk (any Release of Easements outside of Comal County will be sent or given directly to the customer to record with the county of origin themselves).
- A definite time period cannot be quoted, but it usually can be completed within two weeks.
When can’t the release of easement be granted?
There are a number of reasons why the release of an easement cannot be granted. Among them are the following:
- An active waterline is within the easement in question
- The easement is set for a future line extension
Can I get a refund on the processing fee if I do not get the release of an easement?
No, the processing fee is for the research necessary to determine if SJWTX can release the easement.