It's important to understand your water service, along with the physical infrastructure that delivers water to your home or place of business. The more you know, the better equipped you are to troubleshoot any issues you may experience.
SJWTX, like any regulated water utility, is required to provide safe drinking water to customers - every day, every month, every year - all of the time. This is our first priority and we take this responsibility seriously.
Questions sometimes arise as to who is responsible for the maintenance of the water service facilities or leaks at your property.
This illustration shows a typical residential situation. While the boundary line is the same, the situation may look slightly different for larger meters or commercial meters.
The customer is responsible for everything from the connection of their service line to SJWTX's water meter coupling. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- The customer's service line to the house
- The Pressure Reducer Valve (if installed)
- The Customer Valve (if installed)
- All plumbing fixtures both inside and outside the house
- All irrigation fixtures and related components
- Any damage to the water meter, meter box, and lid, even though they are SJWTX property
SJWTX is responsible for the connection from the water main up to and including the water meter.